Friday, April 5, 2013

Finally reading the whole thing!

I haven't really mentioned that I was doing this, I suppose, as a way of getting out of it if it proved too difficult for me. I'm still not convinced it's possible for me in the "season" I'm in. However, my heart has been hungry for the Word for so long and if I can read as many books as I do, what is my real excuse? I have started reading through the bible a couple of times. Beginning in Genesis I have gone as far as Isaiah. Starting in the New Testament I usually fizzle out in Romans or Galatians. Now, I think some of my problem is a lack of goal-setting. Sure, I want to read the whole Bible, but when will I finish it? Whenever. But that doesn't work for me. For someone who procrastinates, time unfolds into years with no progress. For someone who works well under pressure, then pressure must be good. (Sometimes, anyway.) And what better thing to pressure myself to do?

So here's the plan. Out in the open. Not to be judged if I don't make it, but maybe to make it a real goal for me. I am reading the Bible in 40 days. Insane? Yes. Unattainable? We'll see. Not very convenient at the end of a school year where I'm homeschooling 4 kids among other things. But I will try.

I heard about such craziness through our Deaconess at HopePointe. She follows this blog: http://margaretfeinberg.com/our-gift-to-you-free-reading-plan-for-the-40-day-bible-reading-challenge/#more-13905
Margaret followed this plan for Lent. During Lent I was reading through the Proverbs and thought maybe next Lent for the Bible. But somewhere along he line I felt like now is better. So during Eastertide, which is actually 50 days, I decided to take on this challenge. I rewrote the dates on a checklist for myself but kept the readings the same.

So far I have had difficulty at night finishing between 2-4 of the final chapters, so I start the morning catching up and then some. My regular reading time is bedtime, so I am adjusting to reading at other times. That is improving day by day. I am not getting to spend much time "soaking in the Word;" it's more like "breathing" it in. You'd be surprised what a fresh breath it is! There is even fresh breath to be had in Leviticus. (That's today.) So I must be on my way. I won't promise to blog about my progress, but maybe some Fb status updates. As of this moment I'm slightly surrounded by little people vying for my attention. And maybe a little breakfast. So I should go. :)

No comments: