Friday, November 14, 2008

Homeschool


The number one question I am asked when people find out I homeschool is: "What about socialization?" My answer, unfortunately, does not always match my opinion on this matter. My answer would normally be something like, "Oh, we are members of a homeschool association, and participate in field trips, holiday gatherings, park days, etc. Not to mention ballet, scouts, blah, blah, blah." 
I should be honest with people. "Socialization" is not synonymous with "social skills." Learning to interact with others of all ages is a primary reason I do homeschool. There is no reason they can't learn that at home. A room full of 8 year olds won't really teach my son good social skills. We have a long way to go, if you ask me... and I can pinpoint most of the problems to lack of guidance early on. That's on me. :( But in spite of my shortcomings, God gave these precious little ones to me and it's up to me to see to it that they act in a way that's pleasing to Him. "Train up a child..." means what it says. You can't tell them and not follow through. That's not training. It is my prayer that we can do this and love doing it! 
My heart has been heavy lately, as the kids have been at odds with each other. I feel downright exhausted when I "attempt" to spend good quality time with them. I know that Satan is so happy when this occurs. Mom is too tired for me. How sad. So knowing where the battle lies, I am equipped, and he has not won! :) Any prayers for me in that area are much appreciated!
As for what they are learning academically, I am very satisfied with that. We may not do hours of work, but what they know is astounding to me at times. Korbin, although is technically "3rd grade" is learning math in a very wonderful way. He has learned addition & subtraction. YET... he is learning precept upon precept. The foundations are there for multiplication and algebra. For example: pretend the parenthesis are a circle. A coin, if you will. He understands that 3(10)+6(5)+7(1)=67  3 dimes, 6 nickles, and 7 pennies is 67 cents.  But he doesn't just count the coins, he knows the formula because he understands the why. That was on his unit test this morning. He's been reading since he was 5, loves to read, although not necessarily out loud... and has pretty neat handwriting when he does his manuscript assignments. If it were up to him, we might actually do more school that we currently do, but all in due time. Kailyn, on the other hand, is fully capable of her work, but is quite resistant to do anything other than play. I'm pleased with her math progress. She is really coming a long way in reading and writing as well. It can be hard, at times, to get started with her work on any given day, but once she is going, she does great.
Even Lacey is learning. She dabbles in reading... the book I have to teach is so wonderful. She isn't there yet, but when the time is right I feel confident I'll recognize it. She has known her colors for awhile now, and we are working on counting. Musically she is quite gifted. She amazes me with her recollection of songs she has barely heard. (All the more reason to monitor what goes in.) She loves to help with cooking and cleaning. That's something I wish I had learned early on! (Jeff would agree wholeheartedly with that statement!!)

No comments: